Monday, January 23, 2012

What kind of trees/plants can I grow living in Kingman, Arizona?

I just moved to a house in Kingman, Arizona and have found that the weather here is much cooler (almost like Southern California weather), so I would like to plant some trees (possibly lemons and those trees that bloom white flowers), but not sure what would survive out here.What kind of trees/plants can I grow living in Kingman, Arizona?
I lived in Kingman for 8 years once. You have to shelter from the wind and the heat. I lived north of town out towards the Duval Copper mine where I worked.

I had several fruit trees and a vegetable garden.

Make sure the soil has plenty of humas so it wont dry out and your house or something blocks from the wind.

I lived out near what was then the inspection station and the wind blew 7 days a week 365 days a year. That was the enemy to growing anything in the hot summer. Water water Water. I lived there around 1968-1976, Good luckWhat kind of trees/plants can I grow living in Kingman, Arizona?
Acacia, creosote and agave are common to the landscape. Stay with native plants as they will survive the longest. Citrus fruits should be fine as long as you keep them watered. You may also consider dwarf citrus trees as an alternative to waiting for the tree to grow to full-size. See the links below for additional info. Good luck.What kind of trees/plants can I grow living in Kingman, Arizona?
To help water deeply, consider placing a 2-3 foot plastic pipe, 3-4 inches in diameter near the tree, and water into it. And be sure to use mulch to help cool the ground under the tree.
Head for your nearest full time garden center and ask for advice.



Look around where you live to see what is growing.



Walk around the area and talk to local gardeners.



Good luck and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment