Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can you bring a blended cotton shirt hiking?

i have been getting my hiking cloths from thrift stores (making sure they are synthetic, of course). but if its one things im having issues finding is a fully synthetic long sleeve button up shirt (well, one that dosent look like it came out of a 1980's closet). but i have seen a bunch of 60/40 or 70/30 synthetic cotton blend shirts. would those work? or would it still cause to much discomfort? i like in arizona so are weather is usually hot and dry.Can you bring a blended cotton shirt hiking?
I'll probably get some thumbs down for this, but yes. I'm pretty anti-cotton (cotton kills), because when it gets wet it holds moisture and in cold conditions will not come out for the most part of the trip. It just stays wet and freezes you thus causing hypothermia. The blended materials still hold water, but have quick drying properties. I've been using a pair of Dakota Grizzly pants which are 70% cotton/ 30% nylon and they've been satisfactory. I went on a hike two days ago to Ramsey Cascades in Greenbriar, Tennessee and slipped into the water (not bad just got my butt and legs wet) while I was taking some pictures. It took about 20 minutes and they felt perfectly dry (temps were 50F up there). I don't recommend them for snow though. Take gortex and fleece in those conditions. Point is though, I experienced getting wet with the blended material, and they worked fine. I didn't even feel cold.Can you bring a blended cotton shirt hiking?
you can bring whatever you want hiking.



i keep thinking that hawaiian shirts are button-down and synthetic; you could wear one of those. otherwise Exofficio makes some synthetic button-down shirts that are made for the outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment