Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What to do with a ficus tree that has suffered frost damage?

My ficus tree was beautiful with a nice round large canopy and then a frost came and of course killed the leaves. We have left it alone, in hopes it would bounce back. I'm afraid there is no chance of it bouncing...anywhere. The main trunk is still alive, with little sprouts shooting off, but the smaller branches off the larger limbs are dead. If we trim these off, can the tree be saved? I live in Phoenix Arizona by the way, so the weather here is warm and looks to stay that way. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks =)What to do with a ficus tree that has suffered frost damage?
I'm a landscaper in Gilbert and I know what you are talking about. Nearly all of the damaged plants (including ficus and hibiscus) I have seen came back after the frosts. The growth on the trunk is a good sign, the tree will be fine if you keep it watered.



I trimmed the ficus in my front yard back to the main branches, which I left about 5-6 feet long from where they separate from the trunk. It gave the yard a real clean look. It gets rid of the dead brown ball in your yard and you won't have all those leaves everywhere. Whatever you decide to do the tree won't die, but I would recommend trimming away some of the dead branches or you might see them for a while.What to do with a ficus tree that has suffered frost damage?
ficus B likes lite and warmth, you obviously had it outside assuming the Arizona sun/weather would be OK for the fb.

Just trim off all the dead stuff and leave the new sprouts and hope for the best.

you might try changing out the soil and checking the roots for dead ones, the freeze may have gone deep.

water well, lots of drainage, rocks on the btm and good soil and mix. Keep it under a well lit patio if its warm for awhile and we'll see. they are beautiful, my office is full of them in the Napa valleyWhat to do with a ficus tree that has suffered frost damage?
I have a large ficus tree that was gorgeous and the freeze here in Ca. got to it. Leave it alone. I have looked the other way even though the brown leaves bug me, but the sprouts are starting to come out. We get our tree trimed evey three years it's 20 ft. The first couple months it looks like it is in shook and then comes back greener and fuller. It is also the spring time it is its growth time. Remember fall is when you want to trim. Besides the tree will let you know how bad the frost damage was. My hybiscus looked dead, but I listened to the gardening shows and they said wait. You can always trim later but you can't put back. Wait till summer.
  • translate japanese to english
  • battlefield bad company
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment