Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I just bought a male beta fish and was wondering about water changes? Do I need to completely change 100%?

of the water 2 times a week (it's a tiny tiny fish bowl) or only a certain percent? And do they NEED plants and other doodad's to live longer? And how do I keep the water warm (75-85 degrees) if I don't have an aquarium and my house is REALLY cold because it's summer weather in Arizona?I just bought a male beta fish and was wondering about water changes? Do I need to completely change 100%?
Me M has the totally wrong attitude about keeping fish or any pet because if his logic holds true, dog fighting is fine and so is animal abuse. Just because you own an animal doesn't give you the right to mistreat it. Bettas can live well over two years if kept properly.



The problem with bowls for bettas is two fold. One ammonia builds up quickly in such a small environment, but if you are willing to do 100% water changes two or three times a week it wouldn't be very bad. I still wouldn't recommend this though.



The real problem with bowls is there impossible to heat. Bettas come from Thailand where it is quite hot year round. Very few people keep there house above 72 degrees and the water temperature is lower than air temperature. Also when using bowls temperature fluctuates very often because of the little amount of water involved.



When bettas are exposed to low temps and constantly changing temps, they become stressed and their appetite decreases, which often leads to disease. That is why, if you look around this site you'll see a lot of questions about sick bettas.



So I suggest you really try to get at least a 2.5 gallon tank with heater and filter. Until then change 100% of the water 2-3 times a week.
You need to change all the water once a week. He'll need something to hide behind (plants or something else) so that he don't get too stressed out. It also keeps him a little entertained. Room temperature is usually fine if it doesn't change. He needs a constant temperature, usually anywhere from 65-75 is fine.I just bought a male beta fish and was wondering about water changes? Do I need to completely change 100%?
Bowls=BAD

I don't know how to answer that first question. Betta's should not be kept in bowls. I can answer the others just fine though, and explain why bowls are bad in the process.



If by "doodads" you mean a filter and heater, then yes. If you get a 5 gallon tank for the little guy with a low current filter, then you will not need to do 100% water changes. You'll only need to do about 25% with a gravel vac. A betta is a tropical fish. They like warmer water, 76-82F or 24-28C. Not only does a heater keep the water warm, but it helps keep the temp steady, which is important.



Plants and other decor provide cover for your betta if he ever feels scared or stressed. I suggest you stay away from plastic plants though. The sharp edges can shred your betta's fins. Get silk, or best yet, live.



You should get a 2.5 gallon (minimum) tank with a heater and a filter. And add a couple of java ferns maybe.



EDIT: It's late, my bad. I said I could explain why bowls are not good but I forgot to so I will now.

With a bowl, you have a small body of water. Fish make a mess, and in a larger body of water, the waste is diluted more. In a smaller body, it's more concentrated so you need to do more, and/or larger water changes. Also, it's hard to keep a steady temp in a small body of water. And fish hate water temp changes. And because of the bowl's size/shape, you can't add a heater or a filter to remedy these problems.



EDIT: Keeping a creature for 2 years when it is supposed to live for 7 is not something to brag about.



Yes, they are easy fish to care for but that is not an excuse to slack off and cut corners.

And perhaps the one that was "strangled" killed himself as well, like the second. I can't blame him.
OMG LOL. Some people act like they just know EVERYTHING. Its up to YOU what you keep him in and what you WANT him in.... all I can do is offer my own personal experience.

I have had 2 bettas that lasted at least 2 years each. I had them BOTH in a BOWL. Sure... they get bored.. but hell they are in there alone... what else do they have to do... felt bad for the second one...so I moved him from his 'bowl' and gave him a plant to "hide behind" or whatever he wanted to do with it.. gave him a split rock so he could swim between it and put him in a large aquarium with no filter or heater blah blah and he was still.... just as bored!!! lol and he didnt "hide"... they didnt get stressed or scared.

They would interact with me.. I dont know why... but they werent scared of me like most bettas are. Sure they were at first... but when I changed the water they werent scared of my hands at all. I used gallon spring water thats cheap from walmart and it lasted a while... instead of tap water and put him in a plastic cup with some of his water while I changed it out.

I changed it about once every 2 weeks. My house was always cold.

They did just fine... but I am just usin personal experience....

Smaller pebble type rocks worked ALOT better for me though... because my second one killed himself by getting himself wedged between 2 river type rocks. just fyi. :)

I have heard that the live plants keep the "bowl" from getting as dirty as quick and they might live longer... but it also provides them oxygen.. but my first one I gave him a live plant and he got tangled in it and that is how he DIED. I had him for 3 1/2 years. :(I just bought a male beta fish and was wondering about water changes? Do I need to completely change 100%?
Spend a few dollars on a small aquarium. Walmart sells a complete 5 gallon setup for about $30.00 Filter, heater eerything... He will be a lot happier. Bettas are one of the more unusual fishes in that they actually exhibit individual personalities (like Oscars) and can become good pets although I can't get mine to fetch my slippers). Pet owners of all sorts owe it to their pets, whether cat or dog or fish or pigs, etc; to give them the best they can.

As for the tiny fish bowl... would you like to be confined 24/7 to such a small area?
  • bully dog
  • florida drivers license
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment