Saturday, February 18, 2012

I have a 27 year old geliding, that has started to lay down more often than normal, should I worry?

I saw another person that asked a similar question, and many people asked if the weather had changed, yet my horse has lived in Arizona and is used to the weather. I don't think he is colicking, because he gets up voluntarily and on his own, but i am very worried especially since he is my first horse and is my baby, so please please help me.I have a 27 year old geliding, that has started to lay down more often than normal, should I worry?
It can be a sign of pain, as when a horse has laminitis developing. They lie down to take the pressure off of the hooves. You can check for heat in the hooves, and feel the pulses in the pasterns. If the pulses feel like they are strong and bounding, and if the hooves feel hot, it could be an episode of laminitis, which requires medical attention from the vet. I would also observe closely for even the slightest sign of lameness, or any change in stance such as holding the forelegs forward to get weight off of the toes, or bringing the hind legs underneath the body for the same reason.

Your vet can examine him for laminitis, as well as performing an overall physical assessment, and if needed, can draw blood samples to rule out various disorders.

I would observe him closely for any other signs, and measure his vital signs if you know how and have the equipment to do it. That way, all of the information you gather can be related to your vet over the phone, and the vet will advise you from there.
Sounds to me like he's just getting older, and if the temps are getting low at night, maybe it makes his "old bones ache".



But, before you go taking any advice from someone on Yahoo!, call your vet.I have a 27 year old geliding, that has started to lay down more often than normal, should I worry?
I'd talk to your vet. This could just be that he's just getting older, but it could also point to a more serious issue. Best to ask an expert instead of having us guess.



Even if he's used to the weather, did this problem start along with the cold? It may just be the change of season getting to him. Make sure he's blanketed and has shelter.
What is he doing when he's laying down? Is he rolling and kicking or just laying there? Older horses will lay down a lot simply because their bones ache. It could be from arthritis or some other injury that he had previously. I would give your vet a call just to check since I'm not familiar with his behavioral patterns and soundness. If he's laying down day and night, this could be a reason to worry but the occasional sprawled out nap shouldn't be a cause for alarm.



I would still call your vet!I have a 27 year old geliding, that has started to lay down more often than normal, should I worry?
could be arthritis kuz he is getting old
I agree with just having a vet check him over to be on the safe side, but its probably just because hes getting older. Just like people older = more aches + pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment