Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How do you keep a long haired cat cool in 95 + degree weather?

I live in arizona and I have long haired black cat. I have been trying to get the AC fixed in my Apt. I can take shower drink fluids but what do you do for the cat. I have never seen a cat pant. If I cant find a solution soon I will have to surrender her to the humane society. ThanksHow do you keep a long haired cat cool in 95 + degree weather?
Like humans and all other animals, cat acclimatize to their environment. Make sure you have loots of loots of fresh water around though. We moved our Persian (a long haired breed) from the middle of Melbourne weather (anywhere between 5 and 10oC) to SIngapore (the tropics) it took her a little while to get used to the weather, she shed a lot and lots of brushing was needed but she loves it now. she lays outside in the sun all day. So I wouldn't worry about your cat. It will be ok.
My cat loves to be rubbed with ice cubes when it's hot. It's gotten to the point where she actually begs me for it! You might try that with your kitty - you just pet her while holding an ice cube. Do it a little more around the face and neck, where it will feel more refreshing.



You might also try a light "bath" - just a little with a damp washcloth - or if she happens to be one of those crazy cats who likes getting wet, then get her wet.



Either way, the important thing is that she drink lots of water throughout the day. Keep her water bowl VERY fresh and clean so that it's appetizing.How do you keep a long haired cat cool in 95 + degree weather?
There really isn't a problem, cats aren't affected by heat like we are. If it gets hot a cat breaths through it's mouth to cool off (kind of like panting)

You can get frozen water bottles and put them by it.

Make sure it has plenty of water, you can put ice cubes in it.
Shave her. Maybe take her to the groomer's at the pet store. If you can't do that… Buy a fan and put it in one room to cool that one room off- leave the door open at first to let the air circulate and blow the heat out. Then, close the door and stay in there with your cat. Put ice in her water… if she doesn't mind. Cats are picky, but that's what I do with my dogs:). Good luck:)How do you keep a long haired cat cool in 95 + degree weather?
don't shave the cat that is the worst thing long hair cats cold then self by them self :) i have i rag doll with lots of fur i go to a cat vet and that is what she said... so please listen to me :)
Put ice cubes in the water dish, or a frozen water bottle in his/her bed if shes hot enough she will lay on it or near it, that's what I have done with my cats
  • towing
  • pdd nos
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment