Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Is there something wrong with the weather network?

Okay so I've been to taiwan and arizona and other places where the temperature has been up to 40 degrees celsius. Now, I'm in vancouver and even when it hits 24 degrees celsius, it's already really really hot. And no, all degrees are in celsius i didn't read it wrong. Is there some other factor that contributes to this? Because 26 degrees here in vancouver, BC, feels just as hot as 38 degrees in TaiwanIs there something wrong with the weather network?
There are a variety of factors that affect the perceived temperature on the skin:

(1) humidity (high humidity means sweat evaporates less and its cooling effect is reduced)
(2) wind (moving air helps sweat evaporate faster and increases its cooling effect)
(3) your own metabolism (how much your body has adapted to local conditions)

An example of #3 above is years ago I lived in Alaska and I visited family in southern Oklahoma for Christmas. When I left Fairbanks, the temperature was about 鈥?0掳C. When I arrived at DFW airport, the temperature was about +10掳C. My family who met me at the airport were wearing coats, but I was uncomfortable and sweating on the drive to Oklahoma. Today I live in the Dallas area and I have to be outside for like 15 minutes at +35掳C or hotter before I start to sweat. The opposite is also true... in Fairbanks when the temperature warmed to 鈥?0掳C, people would switch to light jackets, and when it reached about +5掳C, people would wear shorts outside! Today I can't stand it when it's colder than +5掳C. So, it's all in how you're acclimated to your climate.Is there something wrong with the weather network?
H U M I D I T Y

No comments:

Post a Comment