Sunday, February 12, 2012

Is this a safe enviroment for my horse?

I live in Arizona (hot weather here) and I pasture board my horse at a big facility. Theres no shelter what so ever, just a big pasture of grass.

Is this not safe? shouldn't there be shelter? or is it okay?Is this a safe enviroment for my horse?
Your horse absolutely needs some kind of shelter. It doesn't need to have four walls but it does need to have some kind of over head shelter.
There most definitely should be a shelter. A horse at a local barn died of heat stroke because he was in a paddock with no shelter in direct sunlight. At least plant a tree in the pasture to provide some shade. Also, make sure there is plenty of clean, cool water for your horse to drink. I live in Iowa and its not nearly as hot as Arizona, so try to negotiate with the owners to get some shade or a shelter! :)Is this a safe enviroment for my horse?
Yes, i think there should be a shelter. but for now i would just get a fly sheet and mask until you consult someone about it, change your boarding plan, or move barns. i believe you should have a shelter but most horses stand in the storms. my mare is out in the pasture all day but comes in at night or if the weather is seveere. in the winter she stands outside in the storm, not in her shelter. when it rains, she stands out in it. but i believe that they should have shelter if they cant go into a stall if the weathers bad.
Will your horse live? Yes. But I think they should still have shelter so they can choose to use it. You can buy a car tent, they are inexpensive (only about $200). They aren't the most attractive things in the world, but they give your horse a chance to escape the elements. Just don't put it out if there is a wide expanse of flat land, I don't know how concerned you should be about lightning in that area.Is this a safe enviroment for my horse?
That's horrible. Horses need shelter to escape the elements. In the wild they can search that out on their own, when we fence them in a pasture it is our OBLIGATION to provide them with that, be it in the form of a stall, a run-in shelter or even a small grove of trees. It's also law in many if not all states. This could be a criminal offense. Even if it isn't- it's downright bad care.
it might be ok if he was on full care stall board. that means in a fanned barn 12 hours and out 12 hours. to be out 24/7 without any shelter is not acceptable to me, and it is illegeal in the state of maryland. horses must be provided with a source of shelter. that being the law tells me that the set up at my barn is illegeal.....there are no shelters whatever in the field. it is hard enough on my horse in bad weather and he is allowed in for 12 hours to rest and be comfortable in his stall. i frequently fret about the lack of shelter but again i do go out every day and he is allowed to come in for 12 hours. i would find a different facility .it just sounds so uncomfortable as to be inhumane. i could not handle this environment 24/7 and i dont even think my dog could handle it either. its desert and they need shade.

good for you, not just following the others .....i hope u can find a more horse friendly barn for your boy.
NO! Horses need shelter from the sun,rain, and in winter.My pastures have LOTS of trees and run in sheds. I would never pasture board a horse where there is no shelter
If you don't know whats safe or not for your horse, why do you have one?
Nope its not safe...
You consult a vet

No comments:

Post a Comment